Posts with tags including: coding
- The past ten years, or, how to get better at anything
Thoughts on learning software development, technical blogging, and what the past ten years have taught me.
- Concurrency, parallelism, and the many threads of Santa Claus 🎅
A seasonal exploration of the difference between concurrent, parallel, and multithreaded processes.
- Word bugs in software documentation and how to fix them
A collection of mistakes that make documentation less awesome than it could be.
- User interface security for the front-end developer
Best practices that contribute to cybersecurity, for the user interface.
- The surprisingly difficult task of printing newlines in a terminal
Your guide to string interpolation quirks that confound the best of us.
- A lightweight, tool-agnostic CI/CD flow with GitHub Actions
How to take advantage of a simple GitHub Actions workflow without sacrificing agnostic tooling.
- A portable Makefile for continuous delivery with Hugo and GitHub Pages
My Makefile for building this site, optimizing images, and running my CI/CD GitHub Actions flow.
- Migrating to the cloud but without screwing it up, or how to move house
A practical guide to moving to cloud services with minimal downtime, using AWS examples.
- Git commit practices your future self will thank you for
How squash commits, vimrc, and git tags can help you make great Git commits.
- An automatic interactive pre-commit checklist, in the style of infomercials
How to set up an interactive checklist using a Git pre-commit hook script.
- How to set up a short feedback loop as a solo coder
Strategies for continuous improvement when you're a freelance developer.
- A coffee-break introduction to time complexity of algorithms
A groundwork understanding of algorithm time complexity in about fifteen minutes.
- How to code a satellite algorithm and cook paella from scratch
A guide to expertly tackling seemingly complicated problems that you'd rather never tackle in the first place.
- Understanding Array.prototype.reduce() and recursion using apple pie
- Iterating over objects and arrays: frequent errors
A quick reference to why your code isn't working, or some errors I frequently make with iteration when the coffee wears off.
- How to replace a string in a dozen old blog posts with one sed terminal command
How to use sed to update a URL in all your old blog posts with simple find and replace.
- Top free resources for developing coding superpowers
The go-to resources from my bookmarks folder for anyone who wants to learn to code.
- Iterations in Python: for loop, list comprehension, and map
An overview of writing effective iterations in Python using for loops, list comprehensions, and map.